On May 7, 2017, history was created when Chris Lynn and Sunil Narine of KKR conquered the highest powerplay score in IPL history against the RCB at the M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru.
Two-time winners of the Indian Premier League, the KKR highest score in powerplay was 105 runs from the first six overs. The duo surpassed the previous highest powerplay score of 100 runs scored by Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in the 2014 edition.
During the match, the partnership between Lynn and Narine was phenomenal. They made KKR the team with the highest powerplay score in IPL history. Without getting out, they both managed a feat making the match more remarkable.
Know more: All-In Recap About IPL 2020 about IPL 2020.
Here Are the Top 10 Highest Powerplay Score in IPL History
- Kolkata Knight Riders scored most runs in the powerplay in IPL history of 105/0 against Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2017.
- Chennai Super Kings scored 100/2 against Kings XI Punjab which was the highest score in IPL in the powerplay in 2014.
- Chennai Super Kings again scored highest runs in IPL powerplay in 2015 by scoring 90/0 against Mumbai Indians.
- Kochi Tuskers Kerala scored 87/2 against Rajasthan Royals in the year 2011.
- Kings XI Punjab scored 86/1 against Sunrisers Hyderabad in 2014.
- Mumbai Indians smashed the highest powerplay score in IPL 2018 by thrashing 84/0 against Delhi Capitals (Delhi Daredevils then).
- Deccan Chargers in 2009 scored 84/1 against Delhi Daredevils.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore scored 83/4 in 2015 against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
- Kings XI Punjab scored 82/1 against Mumbai Indians in 2017.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad scored 79/0 Kolkata Knight Riders in 2017.
#1 – 105/0, Kolkata Knight Riders vs. Royal Challengers Bangalore, 2017
During the 46th IPL match in 2017 at Bengaluru between RCB and KKR, Kolkata Knight Riders paved history by making the highest IPL powerplay score. The target was to score 159 runs to win and M. Chinnaswamy stadium saw a surprise sprung when Suniel Narine came into open the innings along with Chris Lynn.
Chris Lynn, who was returning from injury, and Sunil Narine took the lead, to restore the lost faith of KKR and went bonkers against RCB’s bowling attack. This was the same match in which Narine bragged the fastest ever (off 15 balls) IPL half-century.
In the first six overs, KKR scored 105-0. Lynn (49*) and Narine (54*) while damaging the home team and manifesting the highest powerplay score in IPL History.
Also Read: CSK Players to Watch Out For in IPL 2020
#2 – 100/2, Chennai Super Kings vs. Kings XI Punjab, 2014
Chasing a mighty target of 227 against Kings XI Punjab, CSK started from the first bowl without taking a breath. However, due to enormous pressure, their opener, Faf du Plessis fell for a duck and everyone was biting their nails.
However, then Suresh Raina made a stormy debut of which helped CSK to collect 100 runs in the powerplay. That day people at the stadium were seeing miracles of batting and their jaws were wide open as Raina scored a spectacular 87 runs in just 25 balls at a breathtaking strike rate of 348.
#3 – 90/0 Chennai Super Kings vs. Mumbai Indians, 2015
Chennai Super Kings bragged the most runs in the powerplay in IPL 2015 as well at Wankhede Stadium. Mumbai Indians gave a tough target of 184 for the guest team. However, CSK played cleverly by giving leads to furious openers Brendon McCullum and Dwayne Smith for a breakthrough start of 90 runs in the first six overs.
Also Read: IPL 2020 Latest News
IPL Powerplay Highest Score: Highlights
- Despite RCB never winning a single IPL title, they have notched up the top two highest team totals in the entire IPL history.
- In the year 2016, Virat Kohli became the first-ever player in the IPL history to score two centuries against the same opponent teams in one edition of the league.
- In the year 2010, Vijay became the third Indian player to score an IPL ton after Manish Pandey and Yusuf Pathan.
- We saw no team achieving IPL power play high score in 2019.
The lowest powerplay scores in IPL history:
There isn’t always glory. Sometimes even the ferocious team scores the lowest runs in the first 6 overs. Here are some instances.
5. 17-3 by Mumbai Indians against Kings XI Punjab.
4. 16-1 by Chennai Super Kings against Royal Challengers Bangalore.
3. 16-1 by Chennai Super Kings against Delhi Daredevils.
2. 15/2 by Chennai Super Kings against Kolkata Knight Riders.
1. 14/2 by Rajasthan Royals against Royal Challengers Bangalore.
Also Read: 4 Secrets Why RCB may win IPL 2020
Each IPL season has always been an enchanting one where players and fans witness several incredible performances. If you will notice, teams that have managed to score most runs in powerplay have gone on to perform outstandingly in the match.
What is Powerplay and Why it’s Important?
In the T20 format league, the first six overs of the batting teams’ innings are known as the powerplay and hold a great prominence. A true cricket fan can never miss first 6 overs as it is the Showtime of tremendous batting from batsmen playing in sync thrashing the bowling team.
However, if the batsmen are overwhelmed in the efforts of taking advantage of the powerplay, they can also risk the trump of the whole team by losing wickets in the first six overs. But, it’s worth taking the risk because if they score high runs without losing many wickets; it benefits the whole team which puts them ahead in the match.
Two Ways to Assure Triumph in the Crucial Powerplay Hour
In the shortest format, powerplays usually go only in two ways. Either the batting team bestows enormous efforts in the first six overs or the bowling team instead put-ups crucial bowling tricks hence keeping their opponents on the back foot. The first 6 overs can very much hold the power to determine the success and failure of the team if the openers or top-order batsmen struggle to score in the initial overs.
Indian Premier League has seen some exceptional batting display by the batsmen of different teams. Many teams have scored at a run rate of more than 16 during many matches. Stunning isn’t it? Therefore, we bring top highest powerplay score in IPL History: