ICC cricket world cup is the major tournament in the cricket world. It was first introduced in the year 1975 and today, its craze and passion have reached every nook and cranny. So far, 12 editions have been played and won by incredible efforts of teams giving thrilling memories to fans. Here is a full list of ICC World Cup Records that includes mind-boggling stats of different cricket aspects from batting, bowling, fielding, and so on.
ICC Cricket World Cup Records- Batting
- Sachin Tendulkar has secured the highest runs (2,278 runs) in the history of the ICC Cricket World Cup. Ricky Ponting holds the second position (1,743 runs).
- Chris Gayle holds the record of the fastest double century in the ICC Cricket World Cup history. He achieved the feat against Zimbabwe in mere 138 deliveries in 2015.
- Ireland’s Kevin O’Brien made the fastest century in the ICC Cricket World Cup against England in mere 50 balls in 2011.
- New Zealand’s Brendon McCullum has hit the Fastest fifty in only 18 deliveries in the ICC Cricket World Cup against England in 2015.
- Sachin Tendulkar has hit the most centuries (6) in ICC Cricket World Cup while 5 each hit by Sangakkara and Ricky Ponting.
- Sachin Tendulkar also holds the record of hitting Most 50+ scores (21) in the ICC Cricket World Cup followed by Sri Lankan Kumar Sangakkara 12.
- Chris Gayle and AB de Villiers have hit the most sixes 37 each in the ICC Cricket World Cup hit followed by the former Australian player Ricky Ponting 31.
Also Read: T20 World Cup Winners
- 237* is the highest individual score in the ICC Cricket World Cup made by Martin Guptill of New Zealand against the West Indies in 2015.
- West Indies’s Marlon Samuels & Chris Gayle (2nd wicket) against Zimbabwe in 2015 have secured the highest partnership score of 372 runs. Sourav Ganguly & Rahul Dravid’s 318 runs (2nd wicket) against Sri Lanka in 1999 is the second-highest.
- Kumar Sangakkara has hit the most consecutive centuries (4) in 2015.
- Sachin Tendulkar holds the record for most runs in a tournament (673 in 11 innings) in 2003.
- Lance Klusener has the highest batting average in the ICC Cricket World Cup of 124.00 in 11 innings.
- Glenn Maxwell secures the record for the highest strike rate in the ICC World Cup with a brilliant strike rate of 169.25 followed by Jos Buttler.
- Nathan Astle holds the record of most ducks in the ICC World Cup, with 5 ducks to his name from 1996 to 2003 followed by Eion Morgan with 4 ducks.
ICC Cricket World Cup Records- Teams
- Australia holds the highest team score of 417–6 against Afghanistan in 2015.
- Canada holds the least team score of 36 runs against Sri Lanka in the 2003 World Cup.
- Australia vs Sri Lanka in 2015 holds the highest match aggregate of 688–18.
- The highest run chase was given by Ireland of 329–7 to England in 2011.
- Australia secured the title of the highest winning margin by 275 runs against Afghanistan in 2015.
- The lowest winning margin was between India vs Australia of 1 run in 1987 and again in 1992.
- Australia has won the highest ICC World Cup (62) keeping New Zealand behind with 48 wins.
- Zimbabwe has lost the most ICC World Cup Matches (42) and Sri Lanka 35 matches.
ICC Cricket World Cup Records- Bowling & Fielding
- Glenn McGrath holds the record of most wickets in the ICC Cricket World Cup (71); Muttiah Muralitharan has 68 wickets.
- Lasith Malinga in 2007 World Cup became the first player to take 4 wickets in 4 balls at an international level, against South Africa.
- Kumar Sangakkara has done most dismissals as a wicketkeeper (54) and is followed by Adam Gilchrist (52) of Australia.
- Ricky Ponting has taken the most catches (28) in all ICC Cricket World Cups. Sanath Jayasuriya has taken 18 catches.
- The highest Bowling average in ICC Cricket World Cup is of Garry Gilmore (5.64) from Australia.
- Lasith Malinga secures the record of the most hat tricks in the ICC World Cup. He also holds the record of most consecutive wickets in the ICC Cricket World Cup after dismissing 4 batsmen of South Africa in four balls in World Cup 2007.
- Glenn McGrath holds the record for most maidens in ICC World Cup. He also has the Best Bowling Figures in the World Cup.
- Most ICC Cricket World Cup matches has been played by Ricky Ponting (46 matches). Sachin Tendulkar has played the second-most matches (45 matches).
- Sachin Tendulkar of India (1992-2011) and Javed Miandad of Pakistan (1975-1996) have played 6 ICC Cricket World Cups each. Chris Gayle of West Indies has played 5 World Cups.
- The youngest player to play ICC Cricket World Cup is Nitish Kumar of Canada (2011) who was 16 years, 283 days old at the time. In 2003, Talha Jubair (17 years, 70 days) of Bangladesh became the second-youngest player in the Cricket World Cup.
- The oldest Player to play ICC Cricket World Cup is Nolan Clarke of the Netherlands. He was 47 years, 257 days old in 1996.
- Sachin Tendulkar holds the record of most Man of the Match awards (9) in the ICC Cricket World Cup. Glenn McGrath has won 6 times.
- Team Australia secures the record of most boundaries in the ICC World Cup of 1860; 1604 fours and 256 sixes.